If you are under 18-years-old and have a clear clinical need for treatment, we may be able to treat you free of charge under the NHS.
To determine whether or not you are eligible for treatment under the NHS, the state of your teeth will be assessed on a rating system, known as the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN).
The IOTN is made up of 5 grades:
- Grade 1 Almost perfect teeth.
- Grade 2 Minor irregularities with the teeth, such as slightly protruding upper front teeth.
- Grade 3 Greater irregularities with the teeth that do not require treatment for health reasons. For example, upper front teeth that protrude 4mm (0.15inches) or less.
- Grade 4 A severe degree of irregularity with the teeth that requires treatment for health reasons. For example, upper front teeth that protrude more than 6mm (0.25inches).
- Grade 5 Severe dental health problems. For example, upper front teeth that protrude more than 9mm (0.35inches).
NHS treatment is available for grade four or five cases. Grade three cases are usually judged on a case-by-case basis, and treatment may be made available if the appearance of the teeth is particularly unattractive.
At Orthodontic Clinic, we have NHS appointments at the following times:
Monday – Thursday: 9.00am – 3.30pm
Friday: 9.00am – 1.00pm